This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Sarah Jessee of Lewis Brisbois Bisgaard & Smith LLP in Roanoke. Sarah is a graduate of Washington & Lee University and the University of Richmond School of Law. She currently serves on the Board of Directors of the Roanoke Bar Association. Sarah also is the current Chair of the Young Lawyers Division of the VADA.
1. Where were you born?
2. Spouse? Children? Pets?
New puppy owner!
3. What type of law do you practice?
Primarily, medical malpractice defense.
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
5. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
Getting to know other attorneys throughout the state, professionally and socially, and the relevant CLE topics.
6. What do you like most about practicing law?
I like helping doctors, nurses, and other healthcare providers through challenging times of their careers. Also, my work is always interesting, and I like learning about different aspects of medicine.
7. Who inspires you and why?
My boss (and dad), with whom I have practiced since 2017. He has been practicing law for over 40 years and is a great example of how to work with clients, our staff, and opposing counsel. I am proud to be a Jessee attorney in Roanoke.
8. What is the last movie you saw in a theatre?
It has been too long due to COVID-19!
9. Who is your favorite television or movie celebrity?
Mandy Patinkin, because of The Princess Bride and Criminal Minds.
10. What is at the top of your bucket list?
Traveling! I am looking forward to safely traveling again. I am hoping to go somewhere tropical soon.
11. What was your favorite subject in school?
12. What was your first job?
Scooping ice cream at my uncle’s ice cream shop, Maggie Moo’s.
13. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Enjoy a cocktail with my friends or do yoga and cycle classes at Hustle/Haven.
14. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
Probably working in the medical field, although I think I am better at defending health care providers than I would be at providing health care.
15. What is your favorite type of music?
I like all music, from classic rock and country to Hamilton, the Broadway show. I will always say yes to any live music.
16. What is your favorite travel spot?
I love the beach, but my favorite trips have been European tours or cruises with my family (before the pandemic).
17. What secret talent do you have that no one knows about?
My tolerance for spice is high. I am always ordering extra hot sauce, wasabi, jalapenos, etc.
18. In what section of a bookstore would someone be most likely to find you?
Historical fiction, but I am more likely to listen a true crime podcast or audiobook.
19. What is the last live concert you attended?
Fleetwood Mac cover band.
20. What advice would you give someone who just passed the bar?
Celebrate, and then figure out as soon as possible how to bill your time in a way that works best for you.