This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Audra Dickens of McCandlish Holton in Richmond. Audra serves on the VADA’s Board of Directors. Before joining the Board, she served as Vice-Chair and then Chair of the VADA’s Auto and Transportation Liability Section.
1. Where were you born?
2. Spouse? Children? Pets?
I’m married to my lovely husband, Josh. I have a baseball-loving 10-year-old stepson, and we have two cute little dogs who are spoiled beyond belief.
3. What type of law do you practice?
I practice primarily trucking and premises liability defense.
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
Since I attended the Young Lawyers Boot Camp in 2011.
5. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
Making connections with attorneys across the state.
6. What do you like most about practicing law?
Having a career that allows me to make a positive impact in my clients’ lives.
7. If you could have dinner with any historical figure, living or dead, who would it be?
As a diehard UVA alum, the only logical answer is Thomas Jefferson!
8. What is the last movie you saw in a theatre?
I saw The Lego Batman Movie with my stepson and enjoyed it far more than I would like to admit.
9. What book is currently on your bedside table?
I have two – Becoming by Michelle Obama and Lean In by Sheryl Sandberg.
10. What is at the top of your bucket list?
At the top of my bucket list is a month-long tour of Europe. I can’t narrow it down to just one or two countries, so why not visit almost all of them?!
11. What was your favorite subject in school?
12. What was your first job?
I was a cashier at Lowe’s during summer and winter breaks throughout undergrad and law school.
13. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Spend time with my family and dogs, and visit wineries.
14. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
Working at a winery in the tasting room.
15. What is your favorite type of music?
Country … and pop music from the 2000’s.
16. What is your favorite travel spot?
Anywhere that I can drink coffee in the morning while listening to ocean waves.
17. What secret talent do you have that no one knows about?
My ability to sing and dance in the car are unmatched.
18. What’s your guilty pleasure?
Red wine, popcorn, and binge-watching Grey’s Anatomy or The Office.
19. What advice would you give someone who just passed the bar?
Be bold and go after what you want! Don’t be afraid of the long hours and the stress, but don’t let those things consume you, either. There is much to be said for knowing your limit and making time to re-energize yourself away from work.