This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Danielle Matie of Harman Claytor Corrigan & Wellman, P.C., in Richmond. Danielle is a graduate of Texas A&M University and the University of Richmond School of Law. She currently serves as Chair of VADA’s Auto and Transportation Liability Section. Prior to her serving as Chair, Danielle served as the Section’s Vice-Chair.
1. Where were you born?
2. Tell us a little about yourself. Spouse? Children? Pets?
Two bonus kids, Tristan (16) and Colton (15), and one boxer pup, River (4).
3. What type of law do you practice?
General liability defense.
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
5. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
The dedicated time we set aside for fellowship and collaboration with each other. I don’t see many of my colleagues as often as I’d like.
6. What do you like most about practicing law?
I love the creativity aspect—the fact that no two attorneys approach a complex case quite the same way.
7. What is the one app on your phone you cannot live without?
Drive, where I store everything from project plans and grocery lists to bucket lists and journals.
8. Do you have a favorite movie or television quote?
“Your heart is free. Have the courage to follow it.” Braveheart.
9. What movie or TV show can you watch over and over again, no matter how many times you have seen it?
10. What is at the top of your bucket list?
Owning acreage and starting my dream business one day.
11. What was your undergraduate major?
12. What was your first job?
I worked at a country club driving the beverage cart around the golf course in the Texas summer heat.
13. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Travel, spend time with loved ones, go to local concerts/shows, and play in Richmond’s hurling/camogie club.
14. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
Teaching English abroad, probably.
15. If you were to visit my office, one of the first things you would notice would be …
The huge repro canvas of Gustav Klimt’s The Kiss.
16. What is your favorite travel spot?
So far, it’s a tie between Paris and Amsterdam.
17 What was the make and model of your first car?
2000 Chevy Impala.
18. What book is currently on your bedside table?
The Nightingale, Kristin Hannah.
19. Who is the most famous or interesting person you have ever met?
20. What advice would you give to someone who just passed the bar?
Prioritize kindness and courtesy in your practice, do your best work, and find a mentor.