This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Megan Wagner of KPM Law in Richmond. Megan is a graduate of Columbia College and Chicago-Kent College of Law. She is the current Vice-Chair of VADA’s Workers’ Compensation Section. Megan also served on our 2021 Annual Meeting Committee. She has been voted as a Rising Star in Virginia by Super Lawyers.
1. What is your hometown?
Lake Village, Indiana (a town of 765 people about 60 miles south of Chicago).
2. Tell us a little about yourself. Spouse? Children? Pets?
I am a social butterfly who enjoys running, swimming, politics, board games, spa days, and spending time with family, friends, colleagues and clients. I have been married to my college sweetheart, Josh Brugger, for 12 years. We have three children (two girls and one boy): Eloise (9), Emerson (7), and Elliot (3). We also have a golden doodle puppy (Dolly) and two ragdoll cats (Gizmo & Gadget). We have a very busy and joyful life together.
3. What type of law do you practice?
Workers’ Compensation (primarily) and Civil Litigation (various issues: trucking and transportation, personal injury, defamation, contracts, labor and employment).
4. What do you like most about practicing law?
As a former athlete, I enjoy the sportsmanship of this profession.
5. How long have you been a member of VADA?
6. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
My favorite part of VADA is the friendship and mentorship.
7. What was your undergraduate major?
I majored in Political Science and minored in Philosophy.
8. What was your first job?
Around age 14, I was a waitress at a café in our small town, mostly slinging coffee to hunters, farmers, and truck drivers.
9. If you were to walk into my office, one of the first things you would notice would be …
My children’s art projects.
10. What movie or TV show can you watch no matter how many times you have seen it?
Romy & Michele’s High School Reunion.
11. What TV or movie line do you find yourself quoting most often?
“Do you have some sort of business women’s [lunch] special?” – Romy.
12. What was the year, make, and model of your first car?
Red Chevy Malibu Station Wagon.
13. What is at the top of your bucket list?
Something fueled by adrenaline: swimming with sharks, jumping in a waterfall, sky diving over a volcano, slaying a dragon, etc.
14. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Exercise and socialize—ideally at the same time.
15. In what section of a bookstore is someone most likely to find you?
Neuroscience, psychology, philosophy.
16. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
An interior designer.
17. What is your courtroom walk-up music?
“Smile” – Maisie Peters.
18. What is the one app on your phone that you cannot live without?
Like most social butterflies—Instagram.
19. What quality do you admire most in other attorneys?
Being able to separate the argument from the person and maintain friendships and relationships.
20. What is your favorite travel spot?
St. Barts & St. Maarten.