This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Ross Newell of TimberlakeSmith in Staunton. A graduate of Washington & Lee University and the Washington & Lee University School of Law, Ross enjoys a widely diversified tort defense practice. He has served with distinction as a leader both within his firm and in various bar and civic organizations.
1. Where were you born?
2. Spouse? Children? Pets?
Lovely and patient wife of 32 years Muffie, wonderful daughters Liza and Emma, loyal duck hunting companion Trip, a chocolate Lab
3. What type of law do you practice?
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
5. What is the last book you read?
Where the Crawdads Sing
6. What is the one item you cannot live without?
7. How would you explain to a three year old what you do for a living?
End arguments, eventually
8. What do you like most about practicing law?
The people I meet
9. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
Bob Yates’ cross-examination presentation at The Homestead
10. Do you have a favorite movie quote?
11. If you could have dinner with any person, living or dead, who would it be?
12. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Travel with my family, fly fish, duck hunt, take beach trips
13. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
Unemployed. I’m a one trick pony.
14. What is your favorite sports team?
New Orleans Saints
15. What was your first job?
Bellhop at a Virginia Beach hotel, $5 per day plus tips
16. What is at the top of your bucket list?
A barrel of Maker’s Mark
17. What was your favorite subject in school?
18. What is your favorite travel spot?
Wrightsville Beach, NC
19. What is your definition of success?
Enjoying your job