Thomas, Thomas & Hafer LLP
This month’s spotlighted VADA member is Patrick O’Grady of Thomas, Thomas & Hafer LLP in Richmond. Patrick is a graduate of the University of Virginia and the Mercer University School of Law. He currently serves as Chair of VADA’s Legislative Committee. Patrick also has served our Association as Vice-Chair of our Legislative Committee and as Chair and Vice-Chair of our Auto and Transportation Liability Section.
1. Where were you born?
2. Spouse? Children? Pets?
None of the above. However, I do have five nieces and three nephews.
3. What type of law do you practice?
My practice is fairly diverse and is best described as general liability defense. Much of my practice falls in the trucking, premises liability, and construction subspecialties.
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
Just shy of nine years. I joined VADA at the Young Lawyers Bootcamp back in 2013.
5. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
The people are the best part of VADA. The camaraderie among the members and the willingness to help others grow in the practice of law is fantastic. The programming is a very close second.
6. What do you like most about practicing law?
The competition, hands down. There is nothing more gratifying than winning a motion, case, or oral argument—that you should rightly lose—simply by out working your opponent.
7. What is the one app on your phone you cannot live without?
The podcasts app. I drive a lot and it helps pass the time. After two hours in the car, all country music songs sound the same.
8. Do you have a favorite movie or television quote?
“They’ve done studies, you know. Sixty percent of the time, it works every time.”
9. What movie or TV show can you watch over and over again, no matter how many times you have seen it?
The Shawshank Redemption.
10. What is at the top of your bucket list?
Traveling to Ireland and seeing the castles built by my ancestors.
11. What was your undergraduate major?
12. What was your first job?
My first job was as a laborer for a family friend’s construction company.
13. When I am not at the office, I like to …
Work in the yard. It is a great way to take my mind off work and make my house look better at the same time.
14. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
Working in the construction industry.
15. If you were to visit my office, one of the first things you would notice would be …
A steel rendering of the Richmond skyline.
16. What is your favorite travel spot?
Savannah, Georgia. It has lots of history, music, restaurants, and museums and is minutes from the ocean.
17 What is the last live concert you attended?
Brothers Osborne at the Altria Theater.
18. What book is currently on your bedside table?
William Faulkner’s The Sounds and the Fury, although the bookmark has been in the same place for a while.
19. Who is the most famous or interesting person you have ever met?
I met Adam Carolla after one of his comedy shows in Atlanta.
20. What advice would you give to someone who just passed the bar?
Much of the practice of law is learned after law school. Find a mentor and learn from them. Help them prepare for client meetings, depositions, and trials; watch them in action; and ask questions afterward.