This month’s spotlighted VADA member is John Mumford of Hancock, Daniel & Johnson, P.C., in Richmond. A graduate of George Mason University and the University of Richmond School of Law, John served as President of VADA in 2018-19. He currently serves as the State Representative for Virginia to DRI.
1. Where were you born?
St. Petersburg, Florida.
2. Spouse? Children? Pets?
Two amazing daughters, who fortunately are much smarter than their Dad.
3. What type of law do you practice?
Insurance coverage litigation.
4. How long have you been a member of VADA?
5. What do you like most about practicing law?
The thrill of victory and the agony of
defeat (preferably infrequently on the defeat part).
6. What have you enjoyed most about your time in VADA?
Getting to know so many great people—and occasionally singing karaoke with them!
7. If you could have dinner with anyone famous, living or dead, who would it be and why?
Larry David. Comic genius.
8. What is the one app on your phone you cannot live without?
9. What is at the top of your bucket list?
To successfully ski The Cirque in Snowbird, Utah. Barely made it down this February, but let’s just say it wasn’t pretty. Looking forward to redeeming myself in 2022.
10. Do you have a favorite television or movie quote?
“I meant to do that.” Pee-Wee’s Big Adventure.
11. What was your first job?
Waiting tables at Bob’s Big Boy (a/k/a Shoney’s)
12. When I am not at the office, I like …
Live music (very excited about the return of live music post-COVID), golf, sporting events, playing soccer, and volleyball.
13. If I wasn’t practicing law, I would be …
14. What would your courtroom walk-up music be?
“I Won’t Back Down” – Tom Petty.
15. Who is your real-life superhero?
16. What is your favorite travel spot?
Pretty much anywhere I can ski, surf, or play golf (especially if the spot offers more than one of these).
17. In what section of a bookstore would someone be most likely to find you?
Magazine rack (and no, not those ones).
18. What is your favorite food and drink?
Five Guys & Palmaz Cabernet
19. What was your favorite subject in school?
Tie between History and P.E.
20. What advice would you give to someone who just passed the bar?
Don’t take yourself too seriously.